Happy Manicure Monday. On the Fall 2012 NY Fashion Week runways, the typical french manicure was reinvented. Rather than the standard white tips, manicurists for the designers painted jewel tone stripes, applied metallic foil , and even glued lace/fishnet for a textured look. Walk the runway with these high fashion manicures!
REBECCA MINKOFF: Double French Manicure
Haven Spa for Essie created a jewel tone double stripe manicure for the Rebecca Minkoff show with subdued taupe, burgundy, and navy colors.
To recreate the look, use a nail art pen or french manicure stickers to help paint the lines. The following Essie Colors were used at the Rebecca Minkoff show:
- base coat: Jazz
- top stripe: Midnight Cami
- bottom stripe: Wrapped in Rubies
BEHNAZ SARAFPOUR: Foil Metallic Tips
Foil tips and metallics were the trend at Behnaz Sarafpour. The designer wanted the nails to standout like a jewelry accessory. CND created the metallic nails to contrast the architectural, neutral clothing and to give the fall fabrics an industrial, urban feel.
To recreate this look:
- Use a clear or nude transparent base coat.
- Paint the tips CND Silver Chrome (use french manicure stickers as a guide if you need help creating the perfect shape).
- Apply gold or silver foil leafing (found in your local craft store) to the tips.
- Make sure to use top coat to protect your manicure.
For more detailed instructions on working with gold leaf, check out this tutorial from the Beauty Department.
JOY CIOCI: The Fishnet French
At the Joy Cioci runways, CND created a textured manicure by gluing tulle, lace, and fishnet fabics to the nail tips.
To recreate the textured look:
- Paint the nail CND in Putty and leave the free edge clear.
- Using nail adhesive, apply lace or fishnet (from a craft store) over the clear free edge.
- You can also outline the fabric stitching with CND in Blackjack for an extra touch.
Another way to recreate this look is by cutting and applying nail decals to the tips only. Here’s a few decal options:
Sally Hansen Salon Effects in Misbehaved
Sally Hansen Salon Effects – Laced Up
Sephora OPI Trend Tips in Pink & Black Lace
Sephora has a great how to tutorial on how to apply trend tips into a unique shape. Use these instructions in the video but cut the trend tips into the desired french tip shape rather than the triangle shape in the video.
In the upcoming weeks, expect to see more of the “new” french manicure. From jewel tone and metallic colors to fabrics and textures, the standard white tip french mani has been replaced. Are you inspired by the nail trends on the from the NY Fashion Week Fall 2012 runways? Will you try out a new french manicure?